Cally Road single yellow lines removal – does anyone know what is going on?

IMG_8097Bad news for local traders on the bottom of the Cally Road as the council proposes taking away some of the the single yellow lines to be replaced by double yellows.  There are two single yellow sections – opposite each mid-way between Wharfdale Road and Balfe Street. But a baffling notice from LB Islington on lamp posts (below) is alarming people and makes it hard to understand what is going on (see update below).

It’s an odd one this – Islington has a slightly unfashionable policy of making it easier for local people to use their cars for short shopping etc journeys across the borough, the so-called ‘Residents Roamer‘ ‘making it easier for you to shop locally or visit friends and family’ and the debate around this in 2011 was in part in the name of supporting local businesses.  And one of the purposes returning two way working to a section of the Cally Road always seemed to be to humanise a space dedicated to thundering road traffic at the expense of pedestrians and other road users.  So taking away short stop parking spaces for loading etc outside local homes and businesses in the name of smoothing traffic flow would be a bit odd.

The bottom part of the Cally has a number of small businesses that cling on in, at times difficult conditions. Tony Rees who runs a shop and lives in this bit of the road there has written to Cllr Convery about the proposed parking changes:

‘This will prohibit all parking, loading or unloading outside our homes and businesses at any time. This was never mentioned when the two way proposal was put forward, we would have vigorously opposed it if it had, and we can see no justification for it now. This is a fundamental change that will affect all the residents and businesses on our side of the road. It needs to be discussed properly with the council putting forward irrefutable evidence of the need for this change, not slipping it through with a load of other minor alterations across the borough. Can you please look into this for us and let us know exactly why the council think this change is necessary, and ensure the local community is properly consulted.’

The consultation notice is a masterpiece of statutory notice gobbledegook, with no illustrative map nor context:

cally road islington traffic control order

And they wonder why people don’t get engaged in local decision making.  I understand that there is somewhere a consultation notice – when I get that I shall post it here.  From a brief chat with a council officer I understand that this is part of the ‘post implementation review’ of two way working.  If anyone could give us chapter and verse on this it would be welcome – there’s nothing on the council website.  To declare an interest I own a small flat in this section of the road.

UPDATE

In the comments, Cllr Convery helpfully says:

‘ In plain language, it’s proposed to stop parking in the (newly restored) northbound lane of Caledonian Road. Now that Caledonian Road has 2 way working, vehicles parked in the northbound lane are an obstacle to northbound traffic. Vehicles and cyclists have to pull over potentially into oncoming southbound traffic. The Council is proposing to stop parking in the northbound lane to remove that risk.’

In parking-speak this is ‘waiting’ stopping your car and leaving it there.  This is different to ‘loading’ when you stop for deliveries etc.  LBI Officers have sent a map:

cally road parking waiting and loading proposals map

The map seems to confirm this but also proposes that loading in peak times is also restricted – which is painful if you are expecting a delivery.  Both these restrictions are corollary to the return of the Cally to two way traffic but weren’t advertised at the time – I am still not clear how a consultation on these changes is supposed to work – where the council provides evidence that the problem is severe enough to warrant these changes etc. and listens to what people have to say.   The statutory notice though says you can write to Public Realm, 1 Cottage Road N7 8TP quoting reference TMO/4399.

Active in Kings Cross London and South Oxfordshire, founder of Talk About Local, helping people find a voice online and a trustee of The Indigo Trust and Tinder Foundation.
This entry was posted in Road Safety in Kings Cross, Transport and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Cally Road single yellow lines removal – does anyone know what is going on?

I myself was hoping that this was a first step to removing the gyratory. Is there any news on the progress of that? The current impact to Wharfdale Road is very high, I live on this street and now have cars waiting at the lights outside my house most hours of the day.

2. The notice is indeed pretty hard to understand and that’s a common but inevitable problem with statutory notices. In plain language, it’s proposed to stop parking in the (newly restored) northbound lane of Caledonian Road. Now that Caledonian Road has 2 way working, vehicles parked in the northbound lane are an obstacle to northbound traffic. Vehicles and cyclists have to pull over potentially into oncoming southbound traffic. The Council is proposing to stop parking in the northbound lane to remove that risk. A number of other teething problems have emerged with the new scheme (for example, rat running from Wharfdale Road into All Saints Street) and the Council will be consulting on some further changes to alleviate these.

• Lynne says:

I could understand vehicles parked in the northbound lane being an obstacle to northbound traffic – if there were any northbound traffic. I walk along that stretch of the Cally at least once a day, and hardly ever see any traffic in the northbound lane, whereas traffic in the southbound lane is usually at a standstill.

As for All Saints Street being used as a rat run – what did you expect? I live on Wharfdale Road and own a car (which I use infrequently). I use All Saints Street as a rat run myself, because, as Andrew points out, Wharfdale Road is now a day-long car park.

The ‘teething problems’ were entirely predictable – which is why I didn’t vote for the changes. I understand the council’s desire to have the entire gyratory system removed (a desire that I share), but in the meantime, the effect on the residents of Wharfdale Road is awful in terms of congestion, noise and air quality. Please don’t add to this gigantic cock up by making any more changes that have a negative impact on Wharfdale Road. A few more vehicles travelling along the (generally quiet) All Saints Street really isn’t a problem by comparison.

I would like to end by saying that I’ve yet to speak to any of my neighbours in Wharfdale Road who are anything other than very unhappy with the situation.

Oh, and one more thing… Over the last couple of months, there has been a huge increase in concrete mixers tearing down Wharfdale Road during the night. Can anything be done about this?

• Andrew says:

Hi Lynne – I found out that there is a thing call the “London Lorry Scheme” the restricts a lorry of over 18 tonnes from many London roads at night and weekends.

Wharfdale Road is one of those roads.

How much does a concrete mixer weigh? Somewhere between 9-13 tonnes when empty (so Google tells me), and 27-31 tonnes when full. So I would read this as empty mixers would be OK, but full ones would not (and coming down Wharfdale would typically mean coming from the cement plant up York Way – so would be full).

I have emailed them in the past, and they have sent enforcement officers to monitor.

The biggest lorries seem to be Royal Mail (articulated) and a number of logistics companies.

I am a user of the “rat run” as the timing means Wharfdale Road is now a car park. Are they planning on lengthening the Wharfdale green sequence? (or perhaps making York Way two way?! 🙂

4. Pingback: Kings Cross Environment

I’ve lived on Wharfdale Road since the late 80s and traffic has always been a huge problem here, this is nothing new. I’m part of the campaign to get the whole of the gyratory removed. Until this is done we have no hope of safe and people friendly streets here. I’m so chuffed that Islington Council has taken this bold stand to remove the part of the gyratory it has control over. To try and push TfL into a change it doesn’t even want to look at is a great thing and needs to be applauded.

It’s a shame people can’t see this change as part of a broader (although very local) issue which unites everyone living on the gyratory, not just Wharfdale Rd residents or Cally businesses.

This isn’t an Islington Council problem. Let’s make our voices heard by joining the Council in pressing TfL and the Mayor for the changes that could actually make a difference to our lives, businesses, schools and communities.

Oh and whilst I’m at it… re statutory planning notices and plain english… There is nothing stopping the council producing crystal marked notices to accompany the statutory ones. It makes me so mad that one of our so called democratic processes is almost completely stunted by gobbledy gook…