I have received an update from councillor Sarah Hayward on the matter reported here https://kingscrossenvironment.com/2014/07/12/unbelievable-new-private-community-block-closes-off-key-safe-cycling-route/Let’s hope they can remove the gate to allow for easy through cycling. It can’t be that hard to implement this with an interest to sooth community relations.Here is Camdens full responseDear Mr Zylbersztajn,
Thank you for your recent email about the apparent closure of an access road to the
Westminster Kingsway College and the Bloomsbury Estate.
Senior Council officers have looked into this and have advised me that t he estate
road between Heathcote Street and Sidmouth Street is a private road and was not
formerly a right of way. Paragraph 6.52 of the report on the planning application
states the following: ”The proposed north-south link road is consistent with advice in
the Planning Brief for the site. This would provide a through route for pedestrians at
all times (secured by legal agreement), but not for vehicles. An exception to this
would be service vehicles that would approach the service yard from Sidmouth St
and exit from Heathcote St. Lockable bollards are proposed to prevent through
vehicles, however details of measures to discourage are reserved by condition “
Although cycles are not explicitly referred to above, the intention was that cyclists
would be able to pass through the bollards, but motorised vehicles would not. In the
event, lockable bollards were not installed and moveable hinged barriers were
installed instead. This enabled access for vehicles for residents in the estate
(including disabled users) and service vehicles.
As shown in a photo in your article, new metal fences have recently been installed.
Barring pedestrian access represents a breach of the Section 106 condition for
which formal action could be taken. However, the initial step with all breaches is
negotiation to try and address the situation without taking formal action; this is the
approach that senior officers at the Council are now taking.
In this enforcement investigation we will negotiate with the owners of the site for an
improved access for pedestrians and cyclists, recognising that this ha s become an
informal cycle link, and also that it makes it difficult for residents in the estate to pass
their cycles through the barriers.
I hope this information is helpful to you; if you have any further questions do let me
Councillor Sarah Hayward
Leader of Council (Camden LBC)
Looking for something here?
Get email updates from us
What people are saying
Daniel Zylbersztajn on Stop making our Postal Rail a… Albert Beale on Stop making our Postal Rail a… August 2017 –… on Stop making our Postal Rail a… pilgrimbeart on Black-Cab Drivers and idling e… John Ashwell on Kings Cross remains a Race Tra… OC on Kings Cross remains a Race Tra… Geoffrey Eagland on Kings Cross remains a Race Tra… Daniel Zylbersztajn on Kings Cross remains a Race Tra…
Twitter @kingscrossukMy Tweets
Follow us on Google+
Report street problems
... and if it's a major problem,
contact us as well and we'll write about it on this site
Do people read this stuff?
- 505,024 hits since Nov 2011
Big local issues
- LAQN Site Camden - Euston Road December 12, 2017Using measurements recorded up to Tuesday 12 Dec 2017 07:00:00 GMT, for Camden - Euston Road (Roadside) Species Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) Banding :Low Index: 2 (Measurement)Species PM10 Particulate (PM10) Banding :Low Index: 1 (Trigger)Species PM2.5 Particulate (PM25) Banding :Low Index: 2 (Trigger) For more information please see the London Air website.
- LAQN Site Camden - Euston Road December 12, 2017
- Tuesday: Sunny, Maximum Temperature: 3°C (37°F) Minimum Temperature: 2°C (36°F)Maximum Temperature: 3°C (37°F), Minimum Temperature: 2°C (36°F), Wind Direction: West South Westerly, Wind Speed: 5mph, Visibility: Moderate, Pressure: 1009mb, Humidity: 77%, UV Risk: 1, Pollution: Low, Sunrise: 07:57 GMT, Sunset: 15:51 GMT
- Wednesday: Heavy Rain, Maximum Temperature: 8°C (46°F) Minimum Temperature: 3°C (37°F)Maximum Temperature: 8°C (46°F), Minimum Temperature: 3°C (37°F), Wind Direction: South Westerly, Wind Speed: 11mph, Visibility: Moderate, Pressure: 998mb, Humidity: 87%, UV Risk: 1, Pollution: Low, Sunrise: 07:58 GMT, Sunset: 15:51 GMT
- Thursday: Light Cloud, Maximum Temperature: 6°C (43°F) Minimum Temperature: 2°C (36°F)Maximum Temperature: 6°C (43°F), Minimum Temperature: 2°C (36°F), Wind Direction: West South Westerly, Wind Speed: 12mph, Visibility: Very Good, Pressure: 991mb, Humidity: 75%, UV Risk: 1, Pollution: Low, Sunrise: 07:59 GMT, Sunset: 15:51 GMT
- Tuesday: Sunny, Maximum Temperature: 3°C (37°F) Minimum Temperature: 2°C (36°F)