Burrito Cafe 10 Caledonian Road – 4AM dancing and 3AM live music?!

Burrito cafe There's a bizarre application in for dancing, music, films, food, drink service until 0400 at this tiny soon to be fast food joint.  It seems to be a classic case of tick all the boxes and see what you get, with no thought for the local community.

The site used to be Tony's Hemp Corner.  I hope what appear to be facade alterations comply with the local heritage scheme.

The fast food chicken shop next door has a licence for food service until 0200, and trades responsibly as far as I can tell.

Albert Beale has raised this with me.  He says:

'What's proposed for No 10 seems to me to be more what you'd expect in Soho,
or – at most – on the main road immediately by the station.'

My general view (I own a flat about 100 metres away) is there there should be no trading past 0200 on the bottom of the Cally.  This premisis appears unsuitable for anything other than basic food service.  You have to question the common sense of someone applying for a licence to show films, have dancing, amplified and live music and serve alcohol in this tiny space.  I have now been able to assemble the documents and get the details of the applicant.  The application (which may have been amended slightly,but the applicant hasn't told me how) is to

permit the premises to sell alcohol, both on and off sales from Monday to Sunday 08:00 – 05:00
allow the provision of films, Monday to Sunday, 00:00 – 24:00
allow the provision of live music, from Monday to Sunday, 08:00 – 03:00
allow the provision of recorded music, from Monday to Sunday 00:00 – 24:00
allow the provision of performances of dance, from Monday to Sunday 08:00 – 04:00
allow the provision of anything of a similar description to live music, recorded music, or performance of dance, Monday to Sunday 00:00 – 24:00
allow the provision of facilities for dancing, from Monday to Sunday 08:00 – 04:00
allow the provision of facilities for entertainment of a similar description to those provided for making music of dancing, Monday to Sunday 08:00 – 04:00
allow the provision of late night refreshment,  23:00 – 05:00

The Burrito Cafe applicant Richard Walker says:

'My phone number is 07779 613 698.

'We've been discussing the application with the Police, Licensing and other responsible authorities for the last two weeks and have made a number of changes to the application.

'Would you be around to have a chat in person?

'The best email to get me on is rjew2000@gmail.com. Also please feel free to pass my number and contact details to your readers and committee.

Warm regards, Richard'

If you want to comment I'd strongly advise following the basic licensing criteria – try to fit your comments under the following headings:

The prevention of crime and disorder
The prevention of nuisance
Public safety
The protection of children from harm

Comments must be submitted in writing including by email to licensing@islington.gov.uk by 12 August 2011  or on paper to

The Licensing Support Team
Public Protection
222 Upper Street
London  N1 1XR

This entry was posted in Planning, Licensing and Regulation. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Burrito Cafe 10 Caledonian Road – 4AM dancing and 3AM live music?!

1. Sarah says:

Concerned to hear about this as the hours do seem inappropriate to say the least! I also wish someone would turn these shops into something more useful to local residents. How many cafes can one area support!!

2. stephan schulte says:

Will,

Thanks for posting this. I will be filing a representation to request refusal of this application as I feel the neighbourhood already has sufficient outlets to cater to drinkers and late-night reveillers.

I hope other residents feel the same. The problem with all these Licensing Applications is that the refer to the physical premises and not the business. So it becomes a “speculative issue” that will increase the value of the premises. License should be granted to specific businesses!

Frankly the Council’s License Committee seems to grant every license that comes before them. I would love to see the stats on those that they reject!

To faciliate makeing a representation, just go to this link, then click on the link for Make a Representation. I would suggest requesting a Refusal based on the grounds of “creating a public nuisance!” Which I have no doubt will occur.

I hope other local folks will get this message and DEMAND that they have control of their local area!!!

Best regards,

Stephan

3. ed says:

Ate there today….dreadful loud music from a tinny radio ruined an absolutely unedible burrito…. worst value for money in Kings Cross. Stay well clear of this place if you value your stomach.

Any clue if the property has planning permission to be a takeaway? Does it need different planning permission to be a live music venue? A nightclub?

5. Will says:

Firstly – KX does not have anywhere near enough cafe’s – at least not nice ones. As someone who works in the area its always a struggle thinking of decent places to get a sandwich.

Secon – have seen the size of the new sign outside?!

6. Peter says:

The food is awful.. they have abviously tried to copy the like of Tortilla and other Mexican take outs in Angel and have miserably failed!! BLAND BLAND BLAND!!! I will never eat there again and think people will soon realise the same. I would rather catch a bus or walk to Tortilla in Islington without a doubt!!

7. Rob says:

Had one the other day – I don’t know what the other reviewer was talking about, the one I had was lovely! Fresh, packed, spicy, what more could you ask for?