>>Islington Plant Fair on Sunday 27th March, held at the Islington Farmers’ Market, Penton Street end of Chapel Market 10am-2pm
Spring is almost upon us. We’re holding more plant fairs than ever before, including a bumper fair in Islington this year. On the 27th March you’ll be able to find a vast variety of plants on offer from a variety of locally based independent specialist nurseries, so there’s no excuse not to get out in the garden and start digging!
From grasses to cacti; the growers will be on hand to give you enthusiastic and expert advice. Many growers sell at the Chelsea and Hampton Court shows so really know their stuff. Whether you’re after unusual perennials, vegetable plants, herbs and cut flowers or spring bedding we will have everything you need, plus all your regular farmers and food producers.
Locally-grown plants are hardier and suited to our climate. They have travelled short distances for brief periods of time from the nursery to your garden, meaning that they will prosper for longer whilst imported plants will struggle.
Brief bios of nurseries attending
Participating nurseries include:
Test Valley Nursery- Hampshire
George and Julia Benn of Test Valley Nursery specialise in less common and new hardy perennial plants along with the more traditional cottage garden varieties. Plants are left outside over winter to ensure hardiness, so you can be sure that you’ll have plants which can withstand any conditions, particularly after the winter we’ve had!
Bigtrees – Hampshire
Neil Hosland-Round has two Bigtrees nurseries, one in Buckingham and one in Lymington on the edge of the New Forest. The trees and shrubs he grows vary from showy ornamental species such as mimosas and elegant Silver Birches to heritage apple and cherry trees. You don’t have to worry about risking your back by carrying home a tree with you either, as Neil offers a delivery service around London.
The Culinary Herb Company
Peter Sikora set up the Culinary Herb Company in 2008 and now provides Londoners with a huge range of herbs for every cooking taste. His stall is certainly one to ‘browse by scent’, and the perfect first stop for putting together a windowsill herbary!
Rosie’s Garden Plants- Kent
Jackie Aviolet (aka Rosie) grows a little bit of everything on her nursery near Maidstone. She has unusual-looking prickly cacti, colourful Spring bulbs and well over 30 different types of rose bush. Jackie is one of the plant fairs’ real characters and is always happy to stop for a natter with customers.
Looking for something here?
Get email updates from us
What people are saying
Daniel Zylbersztajn on Stop making our Postal Rail a… Albert Beale on Stop making our Postal Rail a… August 2017 –… on Stop making our Postal Rail a… pilgrimbeart on Black-Cab Drivers and idling e… John Ashwell on Kings Cross remains a Race Tra… OC on Kings Cross remains a Race Tra… Geoffrey Eagland on Kings Cross remains a Race Tra… Daniel Zylbersztajn on Kings Cross remains a Race Tra…
Twitter @kingscrossukMy Tweets
Follow us on Google+
Report street problems
... and if it's a major problem,
contact us as well and we'll write about it on this site
Do people read this stuff?
- 498,151 hits since Nov 2011
Big local issues
- LAQN Site Camden - Euston Road August 20, 2017Using measurements recorded up to Sunday 20 Aug 2017 20:00:00 BST, for Camden - Euston Road (Roadside) Species Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) Banding :Low Index: 2 (Measurement) For more information please see the London Air website.
- LAQN Site Camden - Euston Road August 20, 2017
- Sunday: Heavy Rain, Minimum Temperature: 15°C (59°F)Minimum Temperature: 15°C (59°F), Wind Direction: South Easterly, Wind Speed: 5mph, Visibility: Very Good, Pressure: 1024mb, Humidity: 49%, UV Risk: 5, Pollution: Low, Sunset: 20:14 BST
- Monday: Thick Cloud, Maximum Temperature: 21°C (70°F) Minimum Temperature: 18°C (64°F)Maximum Temperature: 21°C (70°F), Minimum Temperature: 18°C (64°F), Wind Direction: South Easterly, Wind Speed: 3mph, Visibility: Good, Pressure: 1022mb, Humidity: 82%, UV Risk: 3, Pollution: Low, Sunrise: 05:55 BST, Sunset: 20:12 BST
- Tuesday: Light Cloud, Maximum Temperature: 23°C (73°F) Minimum Temperature: 18°C (64°F)Maximum Temperature: 23°C (73°F), Minimum Temperature: 18°C (64°F), Wind Direction: East South Easterly, Wind Speed: 5mph, Visibility: Good, Pressure: 1019mb, Humidity: 66%, UV Risk: 4, Pollution: Low, Sunrise: 05:56 BST, Sunset: 20:10 BST
- Sunday: Heavy Rain, Minimum Temperature: 15°C (59°F)