Over the last week there have been approximately 45 residential burglaries. A number of these were opportunist burglaries where property of high value was left on display and within easy reach of windows and doors, including car keys, where cars have also been stolen.
In the run up to the festive season, when you start stocking up on Christmas gifts, it is important to review your home security.
There are measures you can take to reduce your chances of becoming a victim of burglary:
- Never leave valuable property on display near windows.
- Installing a burglar alarm is one of the most effective deterrents.
- Make sure that gardening tools are secure and locked up in the garden shed. Do not leave ladders against the wall.
- Make sure all doors and windows are closed properly. Ensure that you have a suitable five lever mortice lock on your doors.
- Any gates in your rear and front gardens should be secured.
- Property mark your valuables. Contact your local safer neighbourhoods' team who may be running a scheme like Smartwater in your area.
- Take a note of serial numbers on laptops, iPods and electrical goods. If possible, take photos of high value jewellery.
- Ensure that your foliage is well trimmed and does not provide a cover for burglars. Do not leave high value personal items on view of windows and doors.
If you have witnessed a burglary or have any information that can assist police, contact us in confidence on 020 7421 0150 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Look at your house, think like a burglar, can you get into your house?
For more information about Islington Police go to www.met.police.uk/islington.