Lincoln Lounge says business not community is the priority

Lincoln
I admit everything. I went into the Lincoln, my second fav local bar, to ask if they’d put up a poster for the campaign to Open Up King’s Cross Station. I knocked over a load of straws and stuff that had been on the bar. It was an accident and I apologised profusely. I wasn’t prepared for what happened next.

The guy behind the bar, who may have been the owner – I don’t know – said he did not support the campaign because he wants a higher footfall going past the Lincoln. I asked if he really meant he didn’t support the local community and he said, no indeed he did not support the community. He wants the Wharfdale Rd entrance closed because he thinks it will increase his business. He feels that people walking up to King’s Place along York Way will increase his business. I tried to explain that will not happen. When the development is complete the obvious route to King’s Place from the station will be along Goodsway. He did not agree.

He wasn’t a happy bunny. I came away quite shaken by the exchange. It’s unusual for a local business to say they are not interested in the local community. I was shocked. There you go. What more can I say. The Lincoln Lounge want to prioritise future potential but far from guaranteed passing trade over us locals…. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Sign the petition

About Sophie Talbot

Sophie runs a small business designing websites for small businesses and community groups. http://www.cookiewp.com She also manages King's Cross Community Projects http://www.kccp.org.uk
This entry was posted in Local businesses, Road Safety in Kings Cross. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Lincoln Lounge says business not community is the priority

1. Jill says:

Perhaps if the Lincoln Lounge will not support the local community, the local community should stop supporting the Lincoln Lounge. Very disappointing news.

2. Oscar says:

But the Lincoln Lounge is so fantastic because they seem to buck the trend. They have created a really contemporary pub, not bar, not gastro, not soulless, and not old style.

Obviously they have to make a living but i really thought it was the way it was because the owner liked it that way and didn’t care. I guess times are changing.

Still it could be far far worse and I do not support a don’t support the Lincoln campaign!

I thought the atmosphere in the Lincoln was created by the ex-manager not the owners… Could be very wrong there. I don’t think there’s a ‘don’t support the Lincoln’ campaign – it’s up to each where they choose to drink. I’ll not be drinking there in future, that’s my choice. I think it’s important that people know where local businesses stand on community issues so we can all pay our money and take our choice…

4. James Melly says:

I agree – a bit of subtle persuasion rather than a “don’t support the Lincoln” campaign is more likely to work.

I reckon the Lincoln and the Cross Kings will be competing to be the Guardian’s local and dealing with overcrowding will become their main problem.

Having worked at a dotcom agency in Crinan Street 1998-2000 we helped fill the Lincoln with ease most nights of the week.

5. Paul Convery says:

Perhaps Sophie just got the owner at an unfortunate moment or in a bad mood. Going hostile against the Lincoln is not a great idea. It’s a nice bar and a place that fits the area well … infinitely better than some of the monster bars further down towards KX.

6. lexi says:

Working on York way, I agree with the petition to stop the closure but if the pub doesn’t then thats up to them. Everyone has a right to an opinion. Drinking in the Lincoln daily, I obviously love the pub and knowing the manager in question (who is fantasic by the way) there is no way that I would stop going there just because he dared to disagree with the nutter who started this conversaion!

7. Mandi Richardson says:

As a frequent user of The Lincoln Lounge I know the manager well. I know that he does not support the campaign as he believes that more footfall up York Way will increase his business. But no-one can know for sure. What I do know is that he would never say that he does not support the local community. How many other pubs do you know where the manager will buy you a drink and a cake on your birthday !!

Lexi, they say so few people get involved in community issues because those who put their heads over the parapet are liable to get them shot off, so better to keep quiet and not get active. Thanks for shooting at me. Free speech reigns nonetheless, hence the original posting about the Lincoln and publication of your comment about it. I don’t think we’ve met so I guess you calling me a nutter is just a lucky guess…