I have received an update from councillor Sarah Hayward on the matter reported here http://kingscrossenvironment.com/2014/07/12/unbelievable-new-private-community-block-closes-off-key-safe-cycling-route/Let’s hope they can remove the gate to allow for easy through cycling. It can’t be that hard to implement this with an interest to sooth community relations.Here is Camdens full responseDear Mr Zylbersztajn,
Thank you for your recent email about the apparent closure of an access road to the
Westminster Kingsway College and the Bloomsbury Estate.
Senior Council officers have looked into this and have advised me that t he estate
road between Heathcote Street and Sidmouth Street is a private road and was not
formerly a right of way. Paragraph 6.52 of the report on the planning application
states the following: ”The proposed north-south link road is consistent with advice in
the Planning Brief for the site. This would provide a through route for pedestrians at
all times (secured by legal agreement), but not for vehicles. An exception to this
would be service vehicles that would approach the service yard from Sidmouth St
and exit from Heathcote St. Lockable bollards are proposed to prevent through
vehicles, however details of measures to discourage are reserved by condition “
Although cycles are not explicitly referred to above, the intention was that cyclists
would be able to pass through the bollards, but motorised vehicles would not. In the
event, lockable bollards were not installed and moveable hinged barriers were
installed instead. This enabled access for vehicles for residents in the estate
(including disabled users) and service vehicles.
As shown in a photo in your article, new metal fences have recently been installed.
Barring pedestrian access represents a breach of the Section 106 condition for
which formal action could be taken. However, the initial step with all breaches is
negotiation to try and address the situation without taking formal action; this is the
approach that senior officers at the Council are now taking.
In this enforcement investigation we will negotiate with the owners of the site for an
improved access for pedestrians and cyclists, recognising that this ha s become an
informal cycle link, and also that it makes it difficult for residents in the estate to pass
their cycles through the barriers.
I hope this information is helpful to you; if you have any further questions do let me
Councillor Sarah Hayward
Leader of Council (Camden LBC)
Looking for something here?
Big local issues
Get email updates from us
Follow us on Google+
Things to do in King’s Cross
Report street problems
... and if it's a major problem,
contact us as well and we'll write about it on this site
What people are saying
Do people read this stuff?
- 345,449 hits since Nov 2011
What's hot on this siteAnti Social Behaviour, Crime etc Architecture Arts and Entertainment Broken Stuff on the Street Community groups Community Health and Welfare Current Affairs Food and Drink How to get things done locally King's Cross People Kings Cross local history Kings Cross N1C, railwayslands Kings Cross Station Refurbishment Noticeboard Planning, Licensing and Regulation Road Safety in Kings Cross Street Tipping, Mess, Trash Transport Wildlife and Nature Young People
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Tuesday: white cloud, Max Temp: 9°C (48°F), Min Temp: 5°C (41°F)Max Temp: 9°C (48°F), Min Temp: 5°C (41°F), Wind Direction: SSE, Wind Speed: 6mph, Visibility: moderate, Pressure: 1011mb, Humidity: 87%, UV risk: n/a, Pollution: n/a, Sunrise: 07:52GMT, Sunset: 16:31GMT
- Wednesday: light rain, Max Temp: 9°C (48°F), Min Temp: 5°C (41°F)Max Temp: 9°C (48°F), Min Temp: 5°C (41°F), Wind Direction: SSW, Wind Speed: 7mph, Visibility: good, Pressure: 1005mb, Humidity: 95%, UV risk: n/a, Pollution: n/a, Sunrise: 07:51GMT, Sunset: 16:32GMT
- Thursday: light rain, Max Temp: 9°C (48°F), Min Temp: 3°C (37°F)Max Temp: 9°C (48°F), Min Temp: 3°C (37°F), Wind Direction: WNW, Wind Speed: 9mph, Visibility: good, Pressure: 1014mb, Humidity: 90%, UV risk: n/a, Pollution: n/a, Sunrise: 07:50GMT, Sunset: 16:34GMT
- Tuesday: white cloud, Max Temp: 9°C (48°F), Min Temp: 5°C (41°F)